You may reach us at
We continue to preserve the Town of Glastonbury's past
In 1935, the Gideon Welles House, the birthplace of Gideon Welles, first Secretary of the Navy, stood empty and on the site of the new post office that would be built at the intersection of Hebron Avenue and Main Street. The Town's plan was demolish the house. However, Dr. Lee J. Whittles and others in Glastonbury, recognizing the house’s historic significance, formed a committee to save it from destruction.
In 1936, they convinced Ernest Victor Llewellyn to purchase the house and have it moved to a nearby lot on New London Turnpike. (At that time, New London Turnpike came through the current Town Fountain area and met Main Street and Hebron Avenue in a five way intersection.) The committee that formed to save the Gideon Welles House soon became an organization named the Historical Society of Glastonbury. Working with Mr. Llewellyn, they had the house declared a national historic building and it now stands at 17 Hebron Avenue and home to several local businesses..
From that beginning, the Historical Society of Glastonbury has continued to preserve the Town’s past, and to display it in an educational and entertaining fashion. Please visit us at the Museum on the Green, corner of Main and Hubbard Street, or at the Welles-Shipman-Ward House, 972 Main Street, South Glastonbury.
We are a nonprofit organization dependent upon the support of our members and sponsors
- JOIN TODAY ~ Own a piece of history and help the Historical Society of Glastonbury pursue its mission of collecting, preserving, and interpreting the history of the Connecticut Town with the largest inventory of colonial homes.
- Interested in Renting one of our Historic Properties for your small gathering or event? Click Here
FOR ALL OF THE LATEST NEWS, PHOTOS, EVENTS AND UPDATES PLEASE VISIT US ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER
- Established five National Register Historic Districts and one local Historic District.
- Provide free, annual interactive educational tours for over 500 5th graders from Glastonbury’s public schools.
- Reconstructed c.1790 Moseley Tavern Privy, c. 1790 Eastbury Barn and constructed a post and beam shed, new well house and smokehouse designed after those built in the late 18th and early 19th centuries at the Welles Shipman Ward property.
Copyright © 2015 - 2025 by The Historical Society of Glastonbury
The Historical Society